best domain name registry

Discussion in 'General' started by mark edwards, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This thread is more than 60 days old.
  1. mark edwards

mark edwards Member

hello all - i am getting a bit irritated with 1and1.com and am looking for a new domain name registry.

according to

http://registrarjudge.com/

fabulous and namecheap.com (and names.com) are looking like winners. any opinions?

NOTE: friends dont let friends use godaddy, ever.

2. Quags

Quags Administrator Staff Member

This is the first I've heard of of fabulous. Namecheap has a long history and you should be much better off with them than 1&1.

3. Wiseword

Wiseword New Member

I would recommend Namecheap. I registered my latest domain on Namecheap. It's cheap and they will get your domain registered under private registration for free (for the first year).

4. mark edwards

mark edwards Member

well, one thing (maybe the only thing) that 1and1.com does right is private registration for life. being technically-challenged, this appeals to me.

maybe using the rather cool interserver.net dns tools, i can live with 1and1.com and its limitations.

5. mark edwards

mark edwards Member

jon - are you asking about which name to choose, or where to register it?

6. Quags

Quags Administrator Staff Member

That previous post was a signature spammer. Its been cleaned now.

7. Michael Lavrik

Michael Lavrik Administrator

you can also register domains right from the my.interserver.net control panel.

8. Logician

Logician New Member

I have been with namecheap for YEARS. Never had a complaint.

9. James Corthell

James Corthell New Member

I've used Namecheap a long time ago, it wasn't bad; after a while I moved things around and was at Godaddy for a while until their support went to crap... I signed up for an SSL cert with them and I couldn't ever get a valid certificate from them (yet with the same data I supplied to eNom I got a certificate there that worked the first time).

10. mark edwards

mark edwards Member

always remember - Friends never let friends use Godaddy, for any reason. Godaddy is pure evil.

i might give register.com a try....

11. David MCcracken

David MCcracken New Member

crazydomains but i mainly use interserver :D

12. mark edwards

mark edwards Member

hmmm well from my research, namecheap is looking more and more like the winner (for this month, anyways).

i just shot an email off to 'em seeing if privacy (vs public) is a free option. lets see how quickly they respond (another criteria).

13. James Corthell

James Corthell New Member

If you find an enom reseller they generally offer the dynamic dns service enom has with registrations and it works really well, but they're going to be in the $10+/yr range (my reseller account is $9.45 base and I offset client domains off of that).

14. mark edwards

mark edwards Member

it is sorta hard to walk away from 1and1.com given the free privacy registration feature! i will probably end up having a couple of the important domains at namecheap.com and just leave the rest at 1and1.com - unless a better deal comes along.

15. mark edwards

mark edwards Member

status: 1and1.com for the easy names, but any name that requires a nameserver, TEXT record, or anything else even slightly complicated will be on NameCheap.com

1and1.com is OK for A, MX and CNAME... and of course they have the free privacy.

16. mark edwards

mark edwards Member

IMHO, 1and1.com is adequate for most domain names, since they offer free private registry (and little else). for the others, namecheap.com seems to be up to the task.

but what i REALLY appreciate is using clouDNS.net for all dns records. this seems to be the missing piece to the puzzle.

17. Navid

Navid New Member

am using ResellerClub.com for many years the price is also good "Slab 3" and Free Whois protection.

18. Gametimerz

Gametimerz New Member

Thanks for the Info , Helpfully for me .

19. mark edwards

mark edwards Member

new player - LuckyRegister.com - they may be a bit cheaper.

i am starting to look at domain registry purchases like i do bottled water!

20. thebrad

thebrad New Member

Namecheap i think its the cheapest one out of them all, and the auction is so good i put my domain up for 2 days and it sold for $4 but sadly not much as i lost on it but its money for free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This thread is more than 60 days old.