Best alternative to cPanel?

rcg2222

Hi. I am new and am currently using cPanel for my server. I am not a big fan of it, but I've used it forever and am familiar with it. However, I find it kinda limited to some other control panels I've researched, so which is the best/most secure competitor to cPanel?

Ryan Maxey

If you don't like cPanel, not sure what to say. cPanel has about the most features, and is pretty easy to use. Most people just don't like it because of the price. Maybe directadmin?

Yanz

How do people feel about zPanel? I heard it got some hate a while back. But, looks pretty snazzy. I just don't like the 'no uninstall'.

bauss

How is cpanel limited? Anyways, Directadmin is the next best control panel, but cpanel is better when it comes down to it. I'd only use Directadmin to save money, because it's cheaper to license it.

Sal Radler

As said above, directadmin is the next best alternative, but why do you want to shift from cPanel. Is it due to cost, or you are having some problem with it?

Derek Demuro

Extending Nilly's comment, i'd tell you to try virtualmin. I've been using it for a long time, and so far I cannot complain yet its not as easy as cPanel is.

I'd tell you to try it out, if you don't like it, just format the VPS and start over with CentOS and cPanel.

MyDigitalpoint

Webmin is a good free option to choose from. Hosting companies that offer free Cpanel is because they can afford a licence price, which is charged in the hosting price as an imperceptible small percentage.

When it comes to VPS you will rarely find a company that includes Cpanel with the box you are ordering, but depending on the price, licence may come "free" when above $15, $25, or $40 USD per month.

This is up to each company decisions, as many of them also offer different options to choose from either paid or free.

sudoers

Parallel's Plesk Control Panel was the best, but also only other than cPanel, that I have used. I can't stand cPanel. Too many icons and pre-set stuff. I like more control.

Berthfield

Personally I started out using cPanel, however, I have been using webmin/virtualmin on my home servers for over a year now and I must say I am satisfied. The support available as well as the ease of use is really good for freeware.

Turbowarp

I've used DirectAdmin and cPanel... I like both. DirectAdmin is less expensive, supposedly lighter, simpler and less complicated. I really haven't found anything routine, with regard to web hosting, that can't be done by either. I'm using DirectAdmin on my VPS.

Try getting support on the cPanel forum versus getting support on the DirectAdmin forum. The DirectAdmin forum seems more user friendly.

Justin Samuel

Hi. I am new and am currently using cPanel for my server. I am not a big fan of it, but I've used it forever and am familiar with it. However, I find it kinda limited to some other control panels I've researched, so which is the best/most secure competitor to cPanel?

You might want to try my company's control panel, ServerPilot.

https://serverpilot.io/

It's more limited than cPanel in terms of features, but it's for developers running their own servers and we focus on security. I was previously a security researcher before I left grad school to found this company.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
There is also webuzo from http://www.webuzo.com/. If you are looking for an easy script installer (not email features) this will give everything you need from mysql/webserver/php and a one click script installer.

thebrad

It's not really limited if I'm being honest, it has everything that is needed, but if you're really looking for a alternative then use Zpanel, I'd just be careful with Zpanel though as it has some security problems.

haynes11

Plesk and DirectAdmin to me feel really weak. I just hate the interfaces on both of them, it feels like you have to go through so many menus and steps to complete one task, Though if I had to weigh it out of the two in terms of being the best alternative to cpanel... I'd go with Plesk. I haven't tried Webmin but I've been curious of it for quite a while, any feedback of what it's actually like?

chasedood

I would have to agree with everyone else on this, DirectAdmin would surely be your next option then. For myself I actually like cPanel because it has a whole lot more features and because like yourself, I have been using it forever.

please consider virtualmin/webmin too! if you ever switch servers, you can install virtualmin on any server, so all your stuff could migrate with you easily.

remember, virtualmin/webmin will install on any server you want. i think the others you have to rely on somebody else to install & administer them for you with many hosting companies.

and you cant beat the price of virtualmin no matter how hard you try.

its also handy to install virtualbox.org and a virtual-linux on your home machine. then you can install virtualmin/webmin there and have a "play" environment.