Not open for further replies.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
My favorites are

noscript - disable all scripts on sites, whitelisting them individually
foxyproxy - tunnel connection through ssh port

CandraLovell

I use Ghostery (and others) despite, or maybe because it's pretty aggressive in blocking trackers. It definitely breaks Disqus — I don't even see their discussions — and renders target.com website unusable: they give me an error saying I need to enable cookies. There are probably other things I don't even know I'm missing: I only found out about disqus when a discussion site I frequented switched to it and the discussions went away.

My personal policy is not to change the default settings without a good reason, and so far haven't found a "good enough" reason. I might try Disconnect instead based on this recommendation.

I sometimes feel a little bad about how my blocking extensions are depriving ad-supported sites of their revenue stream, but since the ads they serve up are generally not pre-screened, the risks and annoyances are just too high for me to stop doing it.

Rowe992

Well I love to use blocking extensions such as adblock plus and noscript. I also love the one click proxy extentions so that I can access certain websites which may to not available in my region. Firefox is the browser I use and so there are many great extensions to choose from so I can't just name a few. The data entry extension is also great and saves you a lot of time.

SuperiorCallz

The one I use most is probably the Imgur plugin to take screenshots of web pages, although I really enjoy add-ons like Hola, so I can use services such as Netflix in areas which don't support them.

Jatelo2

Was this question about any add-on or those related to web hosting? Well, I go ahead and assume that it wants general answers going by the response I have read so far.

For me Buffer is the best, sharing my blog posts has never been easy. Hangout for chrome will take the second slot followed by Awesome Screenshot.

powerfulmind

The best browser add you can get is either an accelerator or ad block, ad block is incredible.
I have no watched a youtube advert in over a year, plus your browser just looks much neater.
Also if your using a browser besides google chrome, your living in the dark ages.

Jatelo2

if your using a browser besides google chrome, your living in the dark ages.
I have five browsers i.e. Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera, Mozilla and Safari. Some pages render well on Safari and IE compared to Mozilla or Chrome.. so, I don't understand what you meant by 'dark ages'

Aree Wongwanlee

I use Firefox and I had to control my habit of opening too many tabs. Now I am using 'Load Tab on Select'. I can open as many tabs as I want but my memory is not affected since the tab will not be loaded until I select it.

Sean Lich

I always loved using adblock, but does anyone else feel guilty? Sometimes I do. I swear I'm not kidding

I have no idea why either just my dumb conscious I guess. That being said my proxy and/or the chromecast extensions are the only ones I use on a constant basis.

sean - i find that guilt is best relieved by making a donation. i will send you my paypal id specifically for this purpose.

i used to feel a bit of guilt when i used to fast-forward through commercials using the DVR, so i switched over to torrent instead.

Sean Lich

sean - i find that guilt is best relieved by making a donation. i will send you my paypal id specifically for this purpose.

i used to feel a bit of guilt when i used to fast-forward through commercials using the DVR, so i switched over to torrent instead.
haha, touche my friend. I never said it was justified, I just said it happened. Once I think about it logically, that guilt goes away quickly.

("How DARE you make money off me!!")

shamanas

Adblocker plus and HTTPSEverywhere are musts in my opinion.
Greasemonkey is also great, as well as Poster (Firefox addon to modify HTTP requests and inspect responses)

Grumpy

AdBlock Plus is amazing for Google Chrome and is the first extension/add-on I evcr install when I use a new computer or laptop. It's a must really. The main reasons I install it though are to get rid of silly YouTube video adverts which sometimes last longer than the video itself, and also because I use a lot of streaming sites to watch various live sports, which, as we all know, are usually plastered with ridiculous amounts of adverts.

I recommend Click and Clean for Google Chrome. Click and Clean is another Chrome add-on which brings all of the “cleaning” features Chrome has to offer.

Rowe992

I have to say Adblock plus is very great for any browser has it makes browsing faster and less annoying with all the adds especially when you are trying to watch a video. Anonymox is also great when you need to change your ip address to a country like the UK or US.

hop0n

I only use Addblock plus and Adblock For Youtube. I don't think I need any other addon to be honest. I use these with the Chrome browser.

I would stick with AdBlock too just because the advertisment around just annoys me so much that I can't even browse a website full of advertisments without getting crazy. Another plugin that I use a lot is Cookie Manager. It's a plugin for managing your cookies and it has a very catchy and simple UI that makes it very useful when it comes to manage your cookie.

llfsa

I try not to use many add-ons as I feel it starts getting a bit clunky. But I would definitely recommend these two:
- uBlock Origin
- Disconnect

Kyler

AdBlock, not only does it save you from annoying ads, but also ads that contain tracking cookies and malware.

Of 2015
1# Mozilla Firefox
2# Google Chrome
3# Opera
4# Safari
5# Internet Explorer
6# Torch
7# Maxthon
8# SeaMonkey
9# Avant Browser
10# Deepnet Explorer

appleannie

I prefer to have the ad blocker. I think has to be my favorite web browser ad on. I like it because it is one of my favorite things. I hate having to wait on all the adds to load up. Then when the adds load up, which could take a long time I start reading an article or watching a video and then I get a pop up add. Why does my pop up blocker not work for this?

Chris Grigg

I use mainly two addons.
Adblock Plus
Ghostery.

These two working together make my browsing experience so much better without intrusive ads in my way or pop-up ads popping up every 30 seconds.

Hello, this is actually a very good topic and I use a variety of different browser plugins all for Google Chrome. One of my favorite of course as I would imagine for most other people is that of Adblock Plus. Not only does it block out most of the unnecessary ads, but for those more potentially risky websites it prevents you from obtaining trojans, malware, and other potentially hazardous things for you computer. In addition to that and kind of out of the norm of most people, I also use a plugin called High Contrast. This is a pretty simple one as all it does is invert the colors on your computer. It is definitely a blessing in disguise for late night internet surfing on pages that are a bit too bright! Some others worth mentioning that I use are that of MuteTab which blocks out music from specific pages, and Mozbar which is an extensive search engine tool. As I do a lot of business online and a lot of research for search engines, I feel that the most beneficial tool I use is that of Mozbar, and of course Adblock Plus comes to a close second, for sure!

chasedood

I would also have to agree that it is Ad Block, it is outstanding. If you have never tried it then I would definitely give it a whirl. You will be glad you did!

Status
Not open for further replies.