crawling server

gg1965

Hi all,

At about 9am Australian eastern standard time, our VPS slows to a complete crawl. The trouble is, this is our peak time. We get time out errors and people are stuck watching a spinning wheel on their browsers.

I opened a support ticket and was told that it is when the Clam AV virus scan is running but the thing is, i cannot find how i can reschedule this virus scan. I've checked WHM and it only seems to allows me to turn it on or off. no rescheduling options.

How can i reschedule this anti virus scan as it is occuring a very bad time for us.

Thanks

GRaham

gg1965

OK - this issue of our very very slow VPS is getting bad. i am getting time out errors at various time. i have lodged support tickets and i was being told that the backups and/or ClamAV scan is occuring. but that doesnt seem right as now, the server may be ok for about an hour, and then it goes in crawl mode fro another 30 minutes or so - at various times of the day.

other support requests have told me that "we have checked it and it is working good now" but that doesnt tell me what happened. either way, we need this problem of the server timing out fixed. basically, at various times of the day, it may be working good, but within 45 minutes or so - it just simply times out and basically goes off with the pixies.

I dont believe the vps is under load however i have noticed from whm that the readings are "Load Averages: 12.79 10.06 8.06" but i cannot click into that as it just times out.

this problem only seemed to appear in the last 2 weeks or so - can anyone please advise what we can do as it is urgent as this is a customer / student facing server.

thanks

graham

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Clamav doesn't run automatically in cpanel, in my experience. An upload in cpanel file manager will scan with clamav, and mail (exim) in / out, depending on settings could. Otherwise most scans are manually done in cpanel->virus scanner so it is on demand. It would need a more detailed look to really know.

gg1965

Thanks John for your response.

I've raised a number of tickets about this crawling server. The ticket where Clamav scan was implied was ticket no. 226283. But this crawling server has been going on intermittantly for a while and been more severe the last 2 days and basically, it is unworkable for a production machine at the moment because it just comes and goes with timeout errors etc. I've also received a couple of emails in the last few days saying:

-------
MPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.
This is cPanel cpuwatch on [server address]
While processing, the cpu has been
maxed out for more than a 6 hour period. The current load/uptime line on the server at the time of
this email is
13:19:55 up 21:37, 2 users, load average: 1.03, 0.96, 1.21
You should check the server to see why the load is so high and take
steps to lower the load. If you want stats to continue to run even with a high load; Edit
/var/cpanel/cpanel.config and change extracpus to a number larger then 0 (run
/usr/local/cpanel/startup afterwards to pickup the changes).
------------

Any ideas?

Thanks

Graham

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
I've got the load below 1 from my last ticket response. I also needed a question answered on the public_html folder, check the ticket for the update now.

Rohan99

I think is may be as a result of a lack of resources such as ram and cpu power. The bandwidth may also be an issue. Maybe you should try a more powerful server to host your website on since this one seems to crawl when under load.

Dez97

I think you just have really low bandwidth because even with the scanner running it should still be bale to keep running the site, and if not then give that warning that maintenance is taking place. If you can't find a solution on how to reset or change the schedule of the scanner, that let your users know that, that time will be maintenance time and eventually you guys will come up with a new peak time.