Do you guys use VPS?

SwagBear

Do you guys use VPS? If so, what VPS do you guys use? Also, is one neccessary/recommended because I don't know if I should even bother getting one to work.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
This will depend what you want to use the VPS for.

If you are looking for a simple way to host a website but want root access, Openvz is the way to go. Use this if you don't need to run java, any complex vpn's, or need to have full control over the kernel. A VPS is also good if you have a website that is too large for shared hosting, since the resources are guaranteed and less user's are on the each server.

If you need kernel access, such as specific kernel modules, not all may be on Openvz. So in these cases KVM is the way to go. Since it is full virtualization KVM is more like a dedicated server, and works much better with java than openvz. KVM also has LVM snapshots to make backups zero downtime.

Hanaseru

I personally have no need for a VPS as that would be for medium to high end uses (I only host some small websites, so normal hosting is best for me)

You should bother getting a VPS to work if you know that you'll be using a good portion of its resources

Morgan

A VPS is also good if you have a website that is too large for shared hosting, since the resources are guaranteed and less user's are on the each server.

I'm having problem with my present shared account elsewhere and shop around for a better host.
Our MYSQL database is 700MB and apparently we have more than 768 session connections which causes to show error pages.
mypphpadmin backup files is more than 125MB G-zipped and are to large to upload.

Would you consider this to large for a shared server here at InterServer or does it work? If to large would VPS be the answer and would it work?

Thanks
Morgan

PS our traffic is avarage 3GB per day and about 150000 pages and 4400 unique visitors per day

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Is that 768 concurrent connections? That would be on the high end.

You could do shared hosting for the site, and a VPS just for mysql. Instead of localhost the vps IP can be used for the mysql server. Centos can easily install mysql and the database exported using mysqldump and imported into the vps.

Morgan

First tell me if i'm hijacking this thread if so i'll open a new..

WEB.COM is my present host below is what they say about connections at any given time.
There are a limited ammount of connections (768) allowed to a database and the error message means that these connections have been exceeded.

Now I can see in the sessions folder it contains up to 1800 sessions during one hour.
So Jumping on a VPS here and use it for the MYSQL database might be a good idea. I could first keep my old website for storing the rest.

I'm on a Linux red hat server now so what size of VPS would fit best with my traffic see above
How many slices?
OpenVZ
CentOS
Cpanel?

Thanks for any help

PS if grammar is bad, English is not my first lingo.. ;)

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
First, sounds odd. I see only the largest sites using more that 500+ concurrent mysql connections.

What is the specific error message?
Can you confirm you actually have over 768+ connections at a time? Perhaps they mean in a given time frame, like one hour.

Otherwise if you are just doing mysql, you can skip cpanel. Go with centos and run

yum -y install mysql-server
/etc/init.d/mysqld start
/sbin/chkconfig mysqld on

Contact support for mysql tweaking, like query caching. Default is 100 connections I believe at a time in mysql, why is why 768 seems high. This can be raised, but even on servers where I have 200+ queries per second, the connection limit is around 500.

Morgan

Sun, Jul 21 2013 00:00:07 -0400
24.226.95.158 Script: - Line: Unable to connect to the database! - Host 'xxxxx-xxxxx.xxxxxx.xxxxxxx.com' is blocked because of many connection errors; unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts'
This occur when there are more than 768 connections.

below are some replies from the support

The limit of 768 connections would be on any one database at any given time.

Hello Morgan, Thank you for contacting Technical Support. Our databases servers do have a limit of 768 connections however this is a very large amount for most websites and unfortunately there is no way for us to increase this limit. Reaching this limit usually occurs because MySQL connections on your site are not being closed. On the typical site, when a MySQL connection is created, and tasks are completed within the database, the connection is then immediately closed. If sites are not coded correctly to close this connection, the connections can keep accumulating causing these type of issues. Otherwise this error message would usually indicate that your site is getting too much traffic and should be on some type of dedicated or VPS server. But that would usually indicate that you have 768 connections being accessed simultaneously to your database.

I know that you have other customers that run same forum as me UBB threads here on Interserver VPS so thats why I'm here asking.

Our Forum is here
http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly something seems very off in the response.

Can you connect to your mysql user and run

show variables;

Look for max_user_connect, what does it show?

Morgan

Under Show variables i found
max_connect_errors 10
max_connections 1536
max_delayed_threads 20
max_error_count 64
max_heap_table_size 16777216
max_insert_delayed_threads 20
max_join_size 18446744073709551615
max_length_for_sort_data 1024
max_prepared_stmt_count 16382
max_relay_log_size 0
max_seeks_for_key 18446744073709551615
max_sort_length 1024
max_sp_recursion_depth 0
max_tmp_tables 32
max_user_connections 40
max_write_lock_count 18446744073709551615

it also reads
Variable_name Value
max_connections 1536

MyPHPadmin says also
Your PHP MySQL library version 5.0.95 differs from your MySQL server version 5.1.52. This may cause unpredictable behavior.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Ok making more sense now. The max_user_connections is the amount of concurrent connections allowed from a single mysql username. So if you are seeing max_user_connections reached you hit 40.

With that, a 3 slice vps, running openvz I expect would be enough to support your site for mysql on top of an interserver shared hosting package. I recommend the 3 slice VPS because our own max connections per username is 45. On a vps there wouldn't be a max_user connection, just a standard max connections total around 500.

Morgan

Forgive me if I'm a pain but could you please explain what is a single mysql username?
is that one of my forum members connecting and that he can connect 40 times? or is it 40 forum users in total connecting each one time?
If I as a member are login with three different browsers would that count as three connections?

Last If I get three slices will i have 45 connections only or 3 slices x 45=135 connections

Getting closer now I guess.
Cheers
Morgan

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
usually you have a mysql config file with a username, databasename and mysql password. That single mysql username can make 40 connections. There is a specific limit on your current host, per username of 40 connections to mysql at any time. On interserver shared plans it is 45.

This limit does not have to be set on a vps, in fact by default it is not. Too many connections will cause the system to run out of memory, usually a 500 max connection for all usernames is set to prevent that.

Morgan

Now I understand it much better,thanks a bunch.
When ordering shared plan there are a lot of one click installsand other features that comes with the plan, does these also come with the VPS account?

MorgUK

I'm using a VPS at the moment. It's sharing some Intel Xeon with 15 other nodes and it has 2GB of dedicated memory. Currently we're running this off it: Magento, vBulletin Forum and 4 Wordpress installs, one of which is getting larger by the day.

It's handling it all nicely, but I wouldn't be surprised if we will have to upgrade the RAM at some point. I would definitely recommend a VPS if your using something meaty like Magento or simply want some extra speed and functionality. A dedicated server is the next step, or some type of mega cloud hosting. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it!

protoboard

I'm using a VPS just to hold a Wordpress install. My plans are adding at least one more Wordpress install and also running an Asterisk server. It is has a 3.3GHz CPU and 1GB of RAM so I think it's good enough for what I want to do with it. I just been running this server for the last couple of weeks.

sushiking89

I am into earning money online thus VPS is one of my valuable tools. I can earn extra income by using many VPSs for ways like Paid-to-Promote. VPS is also good for additional speed and ram if your computer is too slow. There are many usage for a VPS depends what you want to use it for. I know most people use it for opening same programs at the same time.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Just talked to someone today who was looking for a way to have multiple employees use the same windows system. A windows VPS in LA fit the need since it allows software to be installed, multiple user's in remote desktop and easy connection from other systems.

orlando curtis

To me I don't see no reason to have a vps unless
I feel that I want be private. Now me myself no I don't
use it for what I don't see no reason.

aDiMin

Forum Stats
6898 Members
31 Forums
46810 Topics
428725 Posts
http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

that's small, not really high.
but, VPS is one of few solution (at least 2-4GB RAM) and forget it CPanel. Just simply DirectAdmin..

please consider move to MyBB instead of old UBB.
tweaking MySQL is recommended, and try to move innoDB.

I had over 2 millions posts forum, :p

Jay Gould

I use a free node from AWS as a VPN for Skype whenever I'm streaming something and I want to protect against DDoS attacks but personally I don't have any reason to pay for a VPN outside of that.

are you guys trying to confused us 'technically-challenged' folks? i notice VPS and VPN seem to be intermixed here.

in my mind:
VPS = virtual-private-server
VPN = virtual-private-network

did i miss something ?

hydrlon

I have a question about the whole VPS thing, is it similar to running things in sandboxed mode? If anyone knows what the sandbox software is, is it similar to VPS? :eek: (Sorry for the noob status :confused:)

protoboard

I do have a VPS I use to host my own email. I know I could just go with regular hosting and still have email addresses with my own domain but I'm using the VPS box to learn how to host my own mail and web servers. It's a small VPS I got through http://www.lowendbox.com and it only costs me $3.5 per month. I'm very happy with it so far.

FreeBuddy

I got a basic VPS from InterServers with cPanel and WHM. So about $16 in total but thinking about upgrading to 1GB but probably not necessary. I run a voice server on the VPS and a related web panel. That's about it. Very happy so far.

andrewt

Depends on what you need it for. I used a vps for my seo tools to help rank some of my websites. If you want it for anonymity, I am sure there are easier ways (proxy) to go about it.