Hosting videos?

gg1965

hi all,

We've got a VPS here and am very happy with it. One thing though, many of our clients are based in China and they cannot see the youtube links that we run on our sites (as youtube is not available to them).

We're tried to setup a Youku account (whihc is the chinese version of youtube) and have uploaded our videos to there but YouKu is forcing up to 30 seconds of ads to be shown before our videos are shown - and we cannot turn that option off.

So is there a good easy alternative for us that alllow our Chinese vissitors to see our videos - ad free. We've look at hosting them on Amazon S3 but we cannot work out how to set that up and it doesnt look like it is free.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
My recommendation is a Los Angeles VPS which has better speeds to China.

They use a PHP/mysql script like http://clip-bucket.com which is a youtube clone and host your video's on the vps.

gg1965

My recommendation is a Los Angeles VPS which has better speeds to China.

They use a PHP/mysql script like http://clip-bucket.com which is a youtube clone and host your video's on the vps.

Thanks John - any idea on what the server overhead or load would be to host your own videos - especially on the same vps as the website?

thanks

graham

Considering that you're using a VPS uploading the videos that needed to be seen on youtube I guess it might not be a viable option right? So one thing I could advice is to create a sort of tunneling between a server that the chinese customers can access and yuotube so that they can watch it. This can be done even with PHP I think.

Chris Grigg

Have you ever considered locally hosting the videos? If your chinese customers can access your site with decent speeds, why not host them locally and just link to them within your own site? This will completely eliminate the ads from other video hosting sites.

Hello, one of the next biggest video sharing websites is that of Vimeo. This particular website seems to have a relatively big following and it does have various embedding support, and the plus side is that it is quite favorable in search engines. In fact, it's one of the only other types of videos I see on an almost daily basis. It's generally the 2nd choice for internet marketers where Youtube may prevent you from sharing particular content. Hope this helps you out :)

ericnail

It all would depend on your user-base, but I would say to just get a west coast server and host them yourself with an HTML5 Player. I think streaming is definitely the way to go over downloading and will save you a good bit of bandwidth. If their connection is not so good, you can stream them a lower quality and much smaller file than if they were to watch in full HD.