I recently migrated to interserver. Here are my comments.

bbb

to https://www.interserver.net/forum/ I recently migrated to interserver. Here are my comments. Overall, I am happy so far.

FORUM. This forum site https://www.interserver.net/forum/ I could not find in https://www.interserver.net, but I found it with google search. It should be listed under service. Why so secret? Also, this forum requires regristration that is seporate from my account at https://www.interserver.net. Why?

PRICE. The price interserver charges seems very low for the service interserver advertises. And so far, interserver has delivered to me what is advertised. Is interserver really that efficient, or is it losing money? What is the history of prices? What was the lowest and highest price? Will you release financial data?

DOMAIN NAME. interserver (and most other companies) requires user to supply domain name, to create a hosting account. I think it would be nice if the hosting company would give a default suggestion for a domain name (automatically search for one that is available) or offer a multi-level domain name
(for example, multi-level.domain.name.interserver.com) at discounted or free price. I prefer to take time and carefully consider a domain name to publish, after my site is ready, rather than rush to get one so I can create an account. I hear I can add a domain name to my account at any time. So why is this idea not implemented?

My support ticket to request migration (GLF-989-14460) had twenty posts. I think that is too much, and things could be improved by better utilizing the pre-migration questioner:

Instructions from interserver (https://www.interserver.net/tips/kb/interserver-complimentary-migrations/) say I should create a backup file on my old host. So, I did.
The pre-migration questioner did not ask for the backup filename. The pre-migration questioner did not ask if I had made a backup file. support said: we have generated a backup generation on your remote host. Now that the subject had finally came up, I told support that I had already created the backup file. So, support used the backup file that I created.

Support asked me whither to change the primary domain name, OR create an addon domain. I am not familiar with these topics and had to do some quick research and thinking to answer the question. I wish I had the question in advance.

It should be made clearer if interserver is waiting for me. Apparently, I did not correctly answer a question. I was waiting for interserver to migrate, and interserver was waiting for me to answer the question. When I asked about the delay, (good thing I did) interserver said We were waiting for the update which we have asked you.

It seems that migration is now complete. https://www.whatsmydns.net/#NS/ shows all done. Good job there, and I closed the ticket. But there is another problem with my site. I mentioned it on the ticket, I thought it was related to DNS propagation. It is now three weeks after migration. I have updated parts of my site. When I type my domain name into browser, sometimes the updated parts appear. And sometimes the old parts appear. I suspect that I updated my site before DNS propagation finished. What should I do now?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Can you also test in intodns.com - this is an excellent site and will show if there are any subtle issues that may not be noticed like dns records in the nameservers are incorrect but the glue records are correct.

After 72 hours at the most, you really should not see the old data and that is with slowest propogation. Did any cache come over on the site, like a caching plugin? If so sometimes this needs to be cleared.

bbb - i believe you will find this to be an excellent move on your part. i have gone through all the major names like go-daddy, etc -- i have been with IS for i am guessing five years now.

i believe you will find the value to be fantastic, and the server stability is so stable its almost surreal. I got tired of posting "100% uptime" reports a couple of years ago. i have been using KVM and have no complaints whatsoever.

Also, the support is excellent as well. Occasionally though John Q has trouble "dumbing down" his replies to my level. :)

Last edited:

bbb

I used cpanel to make a change to part of my site. But when I use browser to view the site, the change is not there. The old part is still there. What to do?

https://intodns.com/ says this:
Error Missing nameservers reported by parent FAIL: The following nameservers are listed at your nameservers as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the parent nameservers (see RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these nameservers are working.If they are not working ok, you may have problems!
ns73.domaincontrol.com
ns74.domaincontrol.com
Error Missing nameservers reported by your nameservers ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:
dns2026a.trouble-free.net
dns2026b.trouble-free.net
This is listed as an ERROR because there are some cases where nasty problems can occur (if the TTLs vary from the NS records at the root servers and the NS records point to your own domain, for example).

And here is a new problem I found using cpanel metrics:
visitors works.
There are no domains which have awstats stats to display.
There are no domains which have Webalizer stats to display.
Analog Stats, there is no month to select.
I selected everything from Metrics Editor, but it had no effect. Is there a time delay?

My initial post has several questions, but only one (the most important) was replied to. Any more comments?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
I checked the ticket and for the domain I see listed the intodns error is resolved already.

In cpanel -> metrics editor stats can be enabled. They are off by default, I enabled them if the account needed them. In 24 hours you should have these stats.

I will look into the main page to see where the forum is linked to to make sure it is more clear.

In the past we did offer a sub domain or full domain for hosting. We give a domain under ispot.cc automatically, so potentially will look into this. Due to issues with possible malware or phishing on customer sites, we no longer user interserver.net/interserver.net sub domains (bad for google if it detects issues on customer sites under our domain).

As for pricing - interserver has been around since 1999 and is a private company. So there is no financial data released, nor could I see it being released in the future. I can say interserver is profitable and has been for 21 years.

pawlo.litasi

DOMAIN NAME. interserve 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf r (and most other companies) requires user to supply domain name, to create a hosting account. I think it would be nice if the hosting company would give a default suggestion for a domain name (automatically search for one that is available) or offer a multi-level domain name

Last edited:
you can pick up a cheapie name at namecheap.com - but it would be interesting to learn how to switch domain names once the task is completed.

Mela Gaia

Interserver is what you see: great hosting at a low cost. It has a 24 hour support service which is one of the most important things when you have problems with your site. I think u have an cache issue on wp: so check wp super cache or something similar