Is It Good Idea To Use VPS Instead of Shared Hosting?

billmartinn

Hey There,

I am Bill Martin, I have just joined this forum. I have read a few articles on VPS vs Shared Hosting but I am still confuse. I work for a website where we are a small team who is thinking to change move from shared hosting to VPS. Could you please share cons and pros of VPS?

Also suggest me good hosting companies.

No spam please.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Use a vps if you want root access to the vps, have a basic understanding of managing the system, or are willing to take the time to handle issues that may arise managing your vps. For example if you want to run a minecraft server, you'll want a vps.

If you want to run a wordpress site, I'd recommend shared hosting. The reason is shared hosting comes with security tools, backup systems, and everything in place to run this, keep it secure, stop malware and hacking which will be present on any system connection to the internet. Getting the same protection on a vps would be more costly than shared hosting.

billmartinn

Use a vps if you want root access to the vps, have a basic understanding of managing the system, or are willing to take the time to handle issues that may arise managing your vps. For example if you want to run a minecraft server, you'll want a vps.

If you want to run a wordpress site, I'd recommend shared hosting. The reason is shared hosting comes with security tools, backup systems, and everything in place to run this, keep it secure, stop malware and hacking which will be present on any system connection to the internet. Getting the same protection on a vps would be more costly than shared hosting.
Currently we are using Bigrock hosting and they are not as good as one should be. Also, as I said, we are a small team and we have no technical person. So, what do you say? Should just switch the hosting company?