Need Help With SFTP

H.Charles Beil

I'm struggling to logon with sftp and Filezilla. I keep getting error messages.
Status: Resolving address of sftp.tricountywebsitedesign.com
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Could not connect to server

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

I'm becoming convinced that my login issues are from the server since the same thing is happening with cpanel and when I try to view my website.

Thanks

Last edited:

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
If it is SFTP (not ftp with ssl) then the fix will be changing port 21 to 22. From what I see that is probably the most likely thing wrong.

The second is your ip could be blocked in the firewall, if csf firewall is installed on the server which is very common on cpanel servers.

lewisbert103

Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) works over the Secure Shell (SSH) data stream to establish a secure connection and provide organizations with a higher level of file transfer protection. This is because SFTP uses encryption algorithms to securely move data to your server and keep files unreadable during the process, and authentication prevents unauthorized file access during the operation.
While Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) doesn’t require two-factor authentication, you do have the choice to require both a user ID and password, as well as SSH keys, for a more secure connection. Creating SSH keys helps prevent imposters from connecting to the server. SSH key pairs must be generated beforehand.
Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) gives you the option to perform a wide variety of tasks for sensitive files, from removing files to resuming paused transfers. Unlike FTP over SSL/TLS (FTPS), SFTP only needs a single port number (port 22) to establish a server connection.

SFTP wins over FTP every time in two areas:
1. Authentication
An SFTP server requires trading partners to authenticate in two different ways. They can either prove their identity with a user ID and password (this information is encrypted over the SFTP connection rather than sent over plain text) or validate with an SSH key or SSH key/password combo.
Using an SSH key requires the trading partner to have one half of their authentication (private key) on their personal computer, while the other half (public key) is loaded onto the server and associated with their account. This way, authentication succeeds only if the SSH key pair matches.

2. Implementation
While many organizations use FTP because it’s free and easy to set up, SFTP is also simple to implement. As a bonus, it works with your firewall to send and retrieve communications. A single port is used, providing a secure channel for data to flow through.

I hope this information will be helpful!
Lewis Bert