setting up reverse DNS

hello all -

how does one go about setting up a reverse-DNS ? i see on this page below i can set up one reverse-dns for my IP number, but what if i am hosting multiple domain names? is it possible to set up many reverse-DNS values?

would each domain need a separate IP number?

thank you!

Attachments

• reverse-dns.png
    reverse-dns.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 317
according to the little research i did, my spam problem may be solved by just having one reverse-dns record. the reverse-dns record does not even need to point to the correct domain, supposedly.

note: my problem is that when i send to gmail, yahoo, etc (and especially a-o-hell) i get tossed into my clients spam folder. and gmail does not necessarily make it that easy for a novice to even find the spam folder!

my issue is that i have many domain names all on the same IP number. i really dont want to have to purchase a separate IP number for each domain name just to create a reverse-DNS record.

any other opinions?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
InterServer's shared webhosting servers use mailchannels for SMTP, allowable 100 emails per hour per domain.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it would be possible to relay over a shared hosting SMTP server from your vps.

Jon W

Yes, it would be possible to relay over a shared hosting SMTP server from your vps.

Sounds great! I imagine I set this up as my "smart" relay host.
What's the name of the host? What port number? TLS or plain?
Maybe there's a page where I can read about this?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
This depends. I had thought you were considering using this more along the lines of say a php script that connects with smtp. That is pretty easy as you enter only the webhosting server hostname, smtp port, username and password.

It is always in the format of: webhostingXXXX.interserver.net (host)
Yes on SSL
port 465
your email username and password

As for a smart host, if it can be configured using standard smtp auth then there won't be any issues.