Should I write my own forum software?

CandraLovell

І hаvе аlrеаdу buіlt а sіtе frоm sсrаtсh. Іt hаs bаnnіng, РМ, соmmеnts, еtс. Тhе РМs аnd соmmеnts аrе dоnе usіng mаrkdоwn (lіkе ЅО).

Тhеrе аrе рrоs аnd соns fоr wrіtіng mу оwn оr usіng аnоthеr sоftwаrе. Вut sоmе соns kееріng mе frоm usіng аnоthеr fоrum sоftwаrе іs

Мultірlе Lоgіns: Оnе fоr thе sіtе, оnе fоr sераrаtе fоrums.
Νееd tо Сustоmіzаtіоn соdе: І'll nееd tо сhаngе thе tооlbаr іn thе fоrum sоftwаrе sо І саn ассеss раgеs оn thе rеgulаr sіtе.
Lооk соnsіstеnсу: Іt mау lооk drаstісаllу dіffеrеnt frоm mу sіtе еvеn аftеr аррlуіng lоts оf сss сhаngеs.
Ваnnіng аnd Usеr соnsіstеnсу. Usеrs mау bе bаn оn sіtе оr оn fоrums but nоt thе оthеr. usеrs mау sеlесt а dіffеrеnt оr multірlе usеrnаmеs оn thе fоrum іnstеаd оf bеіng fоrсеd tо usе thе sаmе usеrnаmе оn bоth sіtе аnd fоrum.
Ѕhоuld І wrіtе mу оwn fоrum соdе оr shоuld І usе sоmеthіng аlrеаdу wrіttеn? Whаt аrе sоmе rеаsоns fоr оr аgаіnst wrіtіng mу оwn аnd usіng fоrum sоftwаrе?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Pros: For fun and learning why not. If you are able to do it, it could be a nice project.

Cons: There are a lot of premade forum software, some free and opensource and some paid. You'll be re-inventing the wheel writing your own and it would be hard to match the feature sets that is out there.

SuperiorCallz

I'd recommend against it as there's already a whole bunch of software out there, and I'm sure that a lot of them provide a lot of customizability which you can use to turn to turn your forum into what you're hoping to create with the software, although, like Quags said, it would be a pretty exciting project.

themonk3y

Well if you really want to create one and you think you would enjoy writing it I would suggest you to go with it. Who knows you might end up creating the next famous forums software.

Rowe992

Well if you have the expertise and you enjoy it then I say go for it. I f you write it yourself then it will be easy to maintain and to identify problems. If the time it takes to write is too long then maybe you should not do it.

If you have the time and the interest feel free. It won't be worth it cost wise for the time you spent and if you don't have all the knowledge yet, you have a lot to learn.

Joe Huss

Administrator
Staff member
I find myself asking this type of question all the time (with all kinds of software), and generally this is how i find my answer:

1) Decide what language you would want to write it in , and search for information and comparisons on all the current (opensource) types of this software.
2) Pick out a handful of titles that have features closest to what your aiming for
3) For each title, check out a demo or do a test install and look for an interface your comfortable with.
4) For each title, check out the source code and look for similar coding styles or easy to read/follow code
5) If you find a program that gets the approval on source and interface, try using with that software, if not , start coding your own or build up from the closest existing projects code.

NathanG

Since you have already done so much, in my opinion you should just write your own forum software. Mainly for the reasons you supplied but also other things like how you could integrate what you've already done directly into the forum software.

Jatelo2

Go ahead create the software, just make sure you are not repackaging an existing idea.. Counterfeit can never beat the original, you know..

Aree Wongwanlee

That depends on what you are doing with your life. If you have the time and the inclination, sure, go ahead, by all means. If your aim is simply to get a forum up and running, then I would suggest skipping the part about writing your own forum software. There are plenty of working forum software that you can use.

Have you tried bbPress? It's written by the same people who created Wordpress, so bbPress actually works together with Wordpress without any hitches. One registration, one login and you are good both for the blog and the forum.

TayneC8

I'd certainly say yes, go ahead and write your own forum software! If you've got the time and the skillset, then go for it. You'll learn a lot more along the way and it would certainly give the unique factor which you don't get with other forums, as most use the same forum software and themes. Security is something that you may have to take into consideration though, a lot of forum software out there has tight security, and you'd have to match that standards.

I've got a couple of questions too, are you planning to make this commercial software? Or are you keeping this software just for your own forum?

Writing your own forum software is nowadays in almost no case useful. The available software is highly customizable. For example, you can create your own skin to fit with the layout of your website. You can integrate the login with that of your website.

Pintbean

I would say to just use the software that is out there to save some time, I am sure you can find something that is quite customizable to get what you want out of it.

There are lost of free forum softwares available, why to spend time developing a software when it is already available. You can use the time you will be spending on developing forum software on other important works, such as promoting your forum, attracting members etc.

djinter

I think it would be a distraction. Don't reinvent the wheel. There are plenty of options available and startups keep coming up with better free solutions too. You may want to look at some of the forum software presented by startups at tech crunch.
Focus on your core business or passion.

cortana

Absolutely not. Don't waste time on something that you probably won't ever finish or perhaps get bored while coding.

Unless you're a REALLY good programmer, don't do it.

Unless you have a group of friends who are programmers too, and they can help, don't do it.

If you've got a team of people ready to code, then go for it. It's probably not a job one should do alone.

H.Charles Beil

I think that it would be incredibly difficult to compete with the open source forum softwares out there. I use MyBB and there are so many plugins for it that it's able to do almost anything. My opinion is to use MYBB or something similar and spend your time creating plugins that would enhance the forum but that are not currently available. There are a couple guys around that have made a living off of coding custom forum plugins.

Greatts

I think that while you learn to program someone will already do what toy want. I think it's easier to contact a programmer. There are many companies, for example http://s-pro.io/ is software outsourcing remote company from Ukraine, who will gladly help you realize your ideas. In this case, you do not need to learn a new programming language every time, you just get to a professional of the right profile. I wish you success in your choose)

pawlo.litasi

I find myself asking this type of question all the time (with all kinds of software), and generally this is how i find my answer:

1) Decide what language you would want to write it in , and search for information and comparisons on all the current (opensource) types of this software.
2) Pick out a handful of titles that have features closest to what your aiming for
3) For each title, check out a demo or do a test install and look for an interface your comfortable with.
4) For each title, check out the source code and look for similar coding styles or easy to read/follow code
5) If you find a program that gets the approval on source and interface, try using with that software, if not , start coding your own or build up from the closest existing projects code.
Ваnnіng аnd Usеr соnsіstеnсу. Usеrs mау bе bаn оn sіtе оr оn fоrums but nоt thе оthеr. usеrs mау sеlесt а dіffеrеnt оr multірlе usеrnаmеs оn thе fоrum іnstеаd оf bеіng fоrсеd tо usе thе sаmе usеrnаmе оn bоth sіtе аnd fоrum.

zalan.reilly

І hаvе аlrеаdу buіlt а sіtе frоm sсrаtсh. Іt hаs bаnnіng, РМ, соmmеnts, еtс. Тhе РМs аnd соmmеnts аrе dоnе usіng mаrkdоwn (lіkе ЅО).

Тhеrе аrе рrоs аnd соns fоr wrіtіng mу оwn оr usіng аnоthеr sоftwаrе. Speed Test Вut sоmе соns kееріng mе frоm usіng аnоthеr fоrum sоftwаrе іs

Мultірlе Lоgіns: Оnе fоr thе sіtе, оnе fоr sераrаtе fоrums.
Νееd tо Сustоmіzаtіоn соdе: І'll nееd tо сhаngе thе tооlbаr іn thе fоrum sоftwаrе sо І саn ассеss раgеs оn thе rеgulаr sіtе.
Lооk соnsіstеnсу: Іt mау lооk drаstісаllу dіffеrеnt frоm mу sіtе еvеn аftеr аррlуіng lоts оf сss сhаngеs.
Ѕhоuld І wrіtе mу оwn fоrum соdе оr shоuld І usе sоmеthіng аlrеаdу wrіttеn? Whаt аrе sоmе rеаsоns fоr оr аgаіnst wrіtіng mу оwn аnd usіng fоrum sоftwаrе?
It won't be worth it cost wise for the time you spent and if you don't have all the knowledge yet, you have a lot to learn.

Writing your own forum software is nowadays in almost no case useful. The available software is highly customizable. For example, you can create your own skin to fit with the layout of your website. You can integrate the login with that of your website.

Hope this information helps you.

Last edited by a moderator: