Windows 10 is coming -- whether you like it or not!

GeeCee

I keep hearing about Windows 10, and I get prompts on my machine constantly. Has anyone switched over yet, and if so, how is it?

Last edited:

suegiplaye

I keep hearing about Windows 10, and I get prompts on my machine constantly. Has anyone switched over yet, and if so, how is it?
I have not switched over yet. I hat how everything computer wise has to constantly be updated. It makes me feel like these companies are just trying to find ways to make money.

appleannie

I have not yet switched over. I am a little nervous about switching over during the first week. I will give it a few months before I switch over. I might be going out and getting a new machine. I have not decided yet.

JessieJ

I haven't switched to Windows 10 but I will definitely do so when I have the time. I currently have windows 8 and I'm not impressed. There's so many updates and interruptions. While I'm browsing on the web an update just pops up out of nowhere. Windows 10 will be on my laptop in a couple of days.

I haven't upgraded my laptop computer to Windows 10 yet, but it's already there, waiting to be installed. I don't know if I would really update my OS or not. I am still quite satisfied with my current one. Anyway, I am still looking for more good reviews about Windows 10, and if I have known enough information about it, I might consider getting it.

JessieJ

I don't really mind if I don't hear good reviews about Windows 10 or not. I feel that any Windows is better then windows 8 trust me. Windows 8 is not the best out there in my honest opinion.

ericnail

I have switched over. To me, the basic features are pretty much the same as Windows 8.1. With the exception of them allowing start menu (excellent move) and non full screen apps, not much has changed.

I understand they added the Cortana feature, however, anything I've asked her to do could be done at least 5x faster by me. With Siri, the response is very quick (still not instant but quick). Also, I can ask Siri many things and she will provide instant information where as Cortana will just search Bing for 9/10 things I ask. I hate Bing and they've restricted Cortana to it. This alone was enough for me to disable Cortana all together. I think maybe voice assistance is unnecessary on computers right now because I can move so fast on a computer that something that needs to poll a server off-site for answers is just going to slow me down. Siri makes sense to me because I can't move as quickly on a phone so this makes her much more handy. Perhaps this is why Apple hasn't integrated her to OSX.

As far as the start menu goes, I feel very limited. If I want to have a special list of programs or links to common folders on the left side of my start menu I should be able to. Why is this not an option? I'm stuck with a 'Most Used' list that clearly doesn't know/care what I actually use most. This list is basically useless and taking up space. Even if I turn this off I'm stuck with this dead space over there. This frustrates me.

Now, the Virtual Desktops feature I am a big fan of. This is a great option and I am super happy they added it. The only thing I think they missed out on with this is the option to apply desktops to multiple screens. Say I have desktop 1 on my first screen and I want desktop 2 on my second screen. Why can't I do this? Although I get that it's a niche market for people who use multiple monitors. I will keep my fingers crossed for this though.

The new snapping feature is also a HUGE improvement. Being able to use halfs or quadrants is nice, but the option to pick how you want to use the other portion of the screen after snapping a window into place is a superwin. I love this!

The notifications panel is very slick, but I don't like that I can't choose what I want to show there. Again, the restrictions degrading user experience.

Overall I have mixed feelings about Windows 10, but I like their move towards little innovations which I've always found them to lack.

SirJoe

I have done the change and am glad I did. Windows 10 is a combination of windows 7 and 8. Who ever has worked with either operating system shouldn't have a problem with windows 10. It's not perfect but like any mass produced product it couldn't be. I did have some issues with my laptop mouse which were promptly fixed after a update.
Over all I have enjoyed the upgrade and do recommend it too anyone that is thinking about doing it.

Tuebec

I haven't switched yet, and don't want to. I like Windows 8 perfectly fine and feel like 10 was released far too soon after 8 to really have many improvements worth switching over for. I may be mistaken however. I suppose one day I'll figure that out, if I ever take the plunge.

SirJoe

I haven't switched yet, and don't want to. I like Windows 8 perfectly fine and feel like 10 was released far too soon after 8 to really have many improvements worth switching over for. I may be mistaken however. I suppose one day I'll figure that out, if I ever take the plunge.

The good thing about windows 10 is that you don't have to install it immediately and can just download it for later. An option that you might consider is installing it on a virtual machine and see how it works.

Tuebec

That's true, Joe, thanks for the idea. I did notice that Windows 10 could be downloaded but put off, but I was apprehensive of having it sit there taking up space.

SirJoe

That's true, Joe, thanks for the idea. I did notice that Windows 10 could be downloaded but put off, but I was apprehensive of having it sit there taking up space.

Thanks Tuebac, but it is worth while downloading it while it's still free. It does take up 5.6Gb so if you have a pen or external hard drive it shouldn't be a problem. A free operating system is always a free operating system and even if you just use it in your virtual machines it's always worth giving it a try.

djordjem87

I had some mixed feelings from my friends who switched. I am using Ubuntu so i don't really care but i heard good stuff about it. However, one of my friends who is a musician wanted to switch and he had some cubase or similar software so he had to go gentle with everything because he makes music and he wouldn't want his files damaged. So he tried to install everything but he always found some mistake with file opening or missing plug ins, I know the guy, he knows his computers but he told me he gave up after three tries and he just reinstalled win 8. He liked everything but it was not possible to transfer some files for some reason. I believe it could have been solved but he didn't want to. It shouldn't be that complicated anyway.

artyarson

I'm currently a happy user on Windows 7 and I don't see a purpose to make this change. However, it's more likely that I will buy myself a new computer and there will be Window 10 as a default system. Then I will definitly have to give it a try.

Feather

I haven't got Windows 10 (yet) but I've heard a lot of positive feedback regarding it and if I continue hearing good feedback regarding it, I suppose there's no harm in trying #Windows10!

SirJoe

After having been a strong supporter of windows 10 I have changed my mind, when I upgraded it did exactly what came on the box but it started to hang. At this point in time it will hang for a couple of minutes and only afterwards does it start again. The search bar works on occasions. I still recommend installing it on a virtual machine but not as your primary operating system.

ellyjude

I like advancing with technology so the earlier windows 10 is released the better. I would also like to know the capacity of it since i am planning to install it in my new mini laptop.

After, I had bad experience with Windows 8 I switched back to Windows 7. The old version of Windows caters my entire needs therefore I don't feel necessary to upgrade my OS. I am happy with Windows 7.

francisbaud

I'm still using Windows 8.1 and I'm satisfied with the product. Just a question though, on W10 does a free copy of Microsoft Word come with it?

tony_maguire

It's a free app that will be preinstalled with Windows 10, and you don't need an Office 365 subscription to use it. ... That's something Microsoft has struggled to promote, and many consumers simply don't know that office.com exists and Microsoft has free online versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.

Regards,
Tony