Would you ever host your own website on a vps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohan99

I want to know if it makes sense to host your website on your vps. Would you need a high end vps in terms of specs and bandwidth? Would your website suffer from frequent crashes? Do you advise webmasters to do it or get a paid hosting service?

Dez97

You would need a high end vps, you will need tons of space, bandwidth for sure. I honestly suggest paid hosting service, or ones that offer it for free. On your vps though I don't suggest it as a good idea.

but with a VPS, especially KVM, you can easily grow when necessary. with a fully paid hosting service, it starts to become cost prohibitive to buy more memory, bandwidth, etc.

also, its pretty interesting to administer your own server !

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
If resources become a problem, more slices could be added to increase the resources. But also, there are normally ways to get a little more out of your vps with a couple tweaks to the webserver, php or mysql (on a lamp stack) by adding some caching or changing how php is handled. A vps is well suited to host websites.

ShaneVP

If my website because very big and started gaining thousands of visitors, I would happly host my website on a VPS. Although for a small site currently I will be sticking to using shared hosting, as a VPS isn't needed just yet.

prey

It is an alternative for some, but not worth it for me personally. Furthermore, it's rather exorbitant and you would pay more than actually going for the traditional one, the casual webhosting!

You would need a high end vps, you will need tons of space, bandwidth for sure. I honestly suggest paid hosting service, or ones that offer it for free. On your vps though I don't suggest it as a good idea.
I totally agree with you. I also suggest a paid hosting service or a free one to host your own website.

Jacobr5000

It all depends on the website that you want to host. Generally, if I owned a VPS, of course I would host my websites there. If I'm paying for it, I don't want to waste it!

I do not own a VPS, though. I go with shared hosting because it is much cheaper and does what I need it to do.

Dez97

It all depends on the website that you want to host. Generally, if I owned a VPS, of course I would host my websites there. If I'm paying for it, I don't want to waste it!

I do not own a VPS, though. I go with shared hosting because it is much cheaper and does what I need it to do.

How does shared hosting work? what's the difference between that and paid hosting?

SuperiorCallz

The VPS would definitely require, as Dez97 said, a huge amount of storage and bandwidth. Although you can run a website on a VPS without these two things, it definitely won't be as fast.

Rowe992

I think it can be done but I wouldn't do it or recommend it. A vps can be hacked and therefore you will lose important information. A vps is also not as reliable as a dedicated hosting service and the support is non-existent because you are hosting your own website. The speed will also be an issue because the vps may not be fast enough and you will have to worry about your bandwidth usage as most vps comes with a monthly limit.

hop0n

I'd say hosting your site in a vps sounds like a good idea since you have full control, but I have never tried hosting one since I don't own a vps.

cortana

I'm not sure why you would ask this question.

Yes, people will host on a VPS, no differently than they would on a shared host or dedicated host.

It's a matter of price, features, specs, etc.

You can push plenty of users through a VPS if you have good coding, good database structure on your site, etc.

I have a shared hosting, however, if my website begins to grow substantially and sees volume traffic I would definitely upgrade my hosting. I would prefer to pay for VPS hosting

zalan.reilly

I want to know if it makes sense to Nox Vidmate VLC host your website on your vps. Would you need a high end vps in terms of specs and bandwidth? Would your website suffer from frequent crashes? Do you advise webmasters to do it or get a paid hosting service?
it's rather exorbitant and you would pay more than actually going for the traditional one, the casual webhosting!

Status
Not open for further replies.